Wild Orchid is a
poor movie by objective standards. It is completely brainless, totally
miscast, and the star has absolutely no acting ability.
- Ignore the plot. It does have a plot of some
kind, but the writers pretty much lost interest in the storyline,
and so did I. Oh, yeah, the dialogue is unintentionally hilarious
- Mickey Rourke was miscast as some kind of sensitive
but free-wheeling land speculator with a psycho-sexual dysfunction to
work through. Not to mention an addiction to Coppertone Self-Tanner.
- Carre Otis's acting was, for lack of a better word,
rudimentary. She did improve as the film progressed, but she was
embarrassingly stiff and unnatural in the opening interview, as if she
were reading her lines monotonously from cue cards. She was supposed
to be a top law school graduate with a mastery of several languages,
even though she was 21 at the time, looked 16, and acted 12! She makes
Sylvia Kristel seem to be as mature and profound as Samuel Beckett.
So why do I love this film?
I grant you that the film would suck if it had no
sex and nudity, but it does have sex and nudity - great sex and nudity
you can't just ignore it. The film itself is only a minor factor in
evaluating an experience with
- Carre Otis, in the days before her various dependency and
weight problems, looked magnificent, a cross between Liv Tyler
and Laetitia Casta.
- The photography is consistently beautiful, in the sex scenes
- There is plenty of sexy Brazilian music.
- There is lots of sex and nudity, not just from the
principals, but from dozens of others on the beach and in
- The DVD provides clear looks at all the nudity.
- There are 7 minutes of additional footage in the unrated version. (The
r-rated version is also on the same disc). That additional
footage mostly consists of Rourke and Otis boffing their hearts
out, and it looks like real lovin'!
- Two words: Jacqueline Bisset.
So what if the rest of the movie movie stinks?
If you only watch movies for plot or
characterization or dialogue or good acting, take this back to
Blockbuster and get The Bostonians. On the other hand, if you are
interested in frontal nudity from a beautiful woman photographed
beautifully, with plenty of sexy and pretty atmosphere shots and
sensuous music to round it out, then give this one a try. It is one of Zalman King's very
best "erotic entertainments for couples."